Story image

Trade Me releases 7th annual Transparency Report, data requests down 24%

The requests for New Zealanders data is down 24%, from 1,795 to 1,366 in the year ended 30 June 2019, according to the latest Transparency Report released by Trade Me.

Trade Me policy and compliance manager James Ryan says, like many New Zealand-based companies, Trade Me receives enquiries for information from government agencies to assist them with their responsibilities to maintain the law.

The Transparency Report details the requests for Trade Me members data from the New Zealand Police and government agencies.

Ryan says, “Transparency reporting is about being open and honest about the requests we receive for our customers data. We hope that publishing this report gives New Zealanders insight into how we work with these agencies to keep Trade Me trusted and safe.”

He says, “The company has been committed to producing an annual Transparency Report since 2013 and is one of just three companies to be awarded the Privacy Trust Mark by the Privacy Commissioner for their work.

“We create this report each year because it’s the right thing to do. We reckon more New Zealand companies should follow suit and be transparent with their customers. We know there are other local companies who receive a lot more requests than us and Kiwis have a right to know how their data is being shared.”

This year’s Transparency report highlighted different statistics around data requested by police, other government agencies, as well as the type of information requested.

According to the report, the number of requests for Trade Me members account data from police dropped from 1,348 to 923 in 2019 (down 31.5% year-on-year).

Trade Me also received 443 requests from other government agencies (other than police), 213 statutory declarations to support Disputes Tribunal proceedings, and 48 requests from insurance companies.

Of the police requests, the most information requests were in relation to stolen goods (down from 408 in 2018 to 231), non-delivery of goods (down from 217 to 146) and drugs (down from 284 to 145).

According to Trade Me, this year 98% of police releases were made via the Privacy Act and the remaining 2% were made under a production order. Of these requests, 29% did not see any information released.

Ryan says, “Trade Me’s Trust and Safety team work hard to release only relevant and necessary information.

“We only release information when its legally requested of us and were satisfied its appropriate. If we reckon a request is too broad or insufficient, we will push back and we did that 23 times last year."

The full report by Trade Me sets out the data by region and crime classification, according to the company.

Story image
10 Sep
Do A/NZ companies care about AI ethics as much as they should?
With the rapid global deployment of advanced technology, and specifically the growth in the ANZ region, technology leaders need to work with employers, employees and customers, to achieve the optimal balance in this largely uncharted ethical and regulatory territory, Genesys states.More
Story image
16 Sep
DNS amplification attacks increase 1000% since last year - Nexusguard
Enterprise networks and communications service providers (CSPs) need attack mitigation as DNS patch adoption creates new threats.More
Story image
10 Sep
Businesses must start planning for the cloud-native age – New Relic
DevOps creates automation between software development and IT/operations; enabling tech teams to build, test, and distribute software quickly and more reliably. More
Download image
Your questions answered: How to make the most of AWS deployments
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is one of the ‘big five’ cloud providers leading the way for millions of enterprises worldwide, but at the end of the day no service is useful if enterprises don’t know how to make the most of it.More
Story image
17 Sep
Gartner: Blockchain to be “transformational” within a decade
Gartner’s 2019 Hype Cycle for Blockchain Business shows that blockchain will have a transformational impact across industries in 5 to 10 years.More
Story image
13 Sep
IoT a hot topic in cybercriminal underbelly
"We've lifted the lid on the IoT threat landscape to find that cybercriminals are well on their way to creating a thriving marketplace for certain IoT-based attacks."More