Story image

All backed up yet no data to show

04 Apr 2013

Despite best efforts from customers and business to utilise backup solutions, new research has found they still experience data loss.

According to a recent survey of its Ontrack Data Recovery customers, Kroll Ontrack found that while 60% of respondents had a backup solution in place at the time of data loss, the backup was not current or operating properly.

The data recovery supplier says results indicated that external hard drive backup was still the most used and sought after approach to backing up both business and personal data.

Regardless of solution however, several common scenarios can lead to surprise data loss events:

• External drive only connected on an occasional basis; backup not automated and instead performed on demand
• Computer not on during scheduled backup and not configured to perform at a different time
• Backup software failed
• Backup ran out of destination space
• Backup profile did not cover all of the device requiring backup
• File lost before scheduled backup

“Leveraging a data backup solution is critical for any business or individual protecting against data loss,” says Abhik Mitra, data recovery product manager, Kroll Ontrack.

“However, as our recent global survey results demonstrate, even a reputable cloud or external media solution does not always provide predictable results.

"An effective backup solution hinges on the user or IT administrator attentively validating that the solution is functioning as expected and verifying that the backup is complete.”

Surveying 600 customers from around the world, one third of respondents have experienced personal data loss, while two thirds have lost business data.

After experiencing data loss, 87% of respondents indicated they are extremely likely or somewhat likely to seek a backup solution. Yet the remaining 13% of respondents who do not plan to seek a backup solution cited the time and expense associated with research and administration as the overwhelming barrier to consideration.

"Monitoring and validating an effective solution is the key component in the fight against data loss, our survey demonstrates that data loss still occurs,” says Greg Olson, senior vice president of data and storage technologies, Kroll Ontrack.

“Enlisting the assistance of a reputable and experienced data recovery provider when loss happens will provide organizations and individuals with the best possible chance of recovering their important data.”

Tips for Backup Success:

• Take the time to invest in a backup solution and set up a backup schedule
• Ensure backups are running regularly in accordance with the determined schedule
• Check backup reports for error indications or failure
• Test backups on a regular basis to ensure data has been accurately captured and files are intact

Have you experienced data loss? Do you back up your work? Tell us your experiences below

Interview: What you can expect from LogicMonitor's APAC expansion
LogicMonitor is a provider of SaaS-based infrastructure monitoring software for hybrid IT environments – and it has big plans to shake up Asia Pacific this year.
Cryptomining apps discovered on Microsoft’s app store
It is believed that the eight apps were likely developed by the same person or group.
A multi-cloud approach - what is in it for me?
OVH CEO Michel Paulin explains the benefits of a multi-cloud approach to an organisations digitalisation and what to consider before implementation.
Why the IT service integration market is becoming highly automated
"The SIAM market is not large, but it is one of the fundamental pillars of every digital transformation strategy."
Intel and Rakuten partner to address 5G network gap
“We believe this full end-to-end virtualised network will help us to shift away from reliance on dedicated hardware and legacy infrastructure.”
Spoofs, forgeries, and impersonations plague inboxes
It pays to double check any email that lands in your inbox, because phishing attacks are so advanced that they can now literally originate from a genuine sender’s account – but those emails are far from genuine.
HCL and IBM collaborate to encourage global hybrid cloud uptake
HCL announced a collaboration with IBM designed to help advance the hybrid cloud journeys of organisations worldwide. 
Robots to the fore – Key insights for New Zealand Business into RPA in 2019
From making artificial intelligence a business reality to closer ties to human colleagues, robotic process automation is gearing up for a strong 2019.