While LTE and LTE-Advanced deployments are still underway, wireless carriers and vendors have already embarked on R&D initiatives to develop so-called ‘5G’ technology, with a vision of commercialisation by 2020, according to the Market Research Store report titled ‘5G Wireless Ecosystem: 2015 – 2025 – Technologies, Applications, Verticals, Strategies & Forecasts’.
5G is a paradigm shift in wireless networking to support the throughput, latency, and scalability requirements of future use cases such as extreme bandwidth augmented reality applications and connectivity management for billions of M2M (Machine to Machine) devices, according to Market Research Store.
Although 5G is yet to be standardised, some of the collectively accepted attributes of the technology include new air interface transmission schemes, new spectrum bands, spectrum aggregation, Massive MIMO, beamforming, D2D (Device to Device) communications and self-backhauling, among others, the researchers say.
Driven by regional, national government, wireless carrier and vendor initiatives, Market Research Store expects 5G R&D and trial investments will account for nearly $5 Billion by 2020, following a CAGR of nearly 40% over the next five years.
Key findings from the Market Research Store report include:
- Driven by regional, national government, wireless carrier and vendor initiatives, 5G R&D and trial investments is expected to account for nearly $5 billion by 2020, following a CAGR of nearly 40% over the next 5 years.
- Nearly 70% of these investments will target large scale commercial trial networks in early pioneering countries including Japan.
- Despite a lack of standardisation, vendors are aggressively investing in 5G development efforts with a principal focus on new transmission schemes, antenna technologies, and higher frequency bands.
- 5G networks are expected to utilise a variety of spectrum bands, ranging from established cellular bands to millimeter wave frequencies.
- 5G standardisation activities are expected to commence between 2015 and 2016.