IT Brief New Zealand - Technology news for CIOs & IT decision-makers
Story image
NZ Technology Park set for Auckland build
Mon, 12th Aug 2013
FYI, this story is more than a year old

A purpose-built facility for technology companies and research organisations is set for construction in Auckland suburb Penrose.

Designed to encourage collaboration and improve access to the latest research, the New Zealand Technology Park will be based between the central business district and international airport of the city.

NZTP will contain 18,000sqm of modern work space, cafes, a gym, seminar and conference facilities as well as other communal networking areas, to be built in stages and available at competitive lease rates.

"For business, the proximity to research will be profitable and invigorating; and research institutions will benefit from the commercialising power of the proven high tech industry," NZTP says.

"NZTP will blend research and business interests, cultivating a fierce cross-pollination of ideas and commercial sensibilities.

"Look no further than your neighbour for the solution to a complex manufacturing problem and build your business using shared resources.

"By co-locating high-tech companies with the freshest research talent, NZTP cultivates an environment where intellectual property is respected but innovation is vigorous."

Key benefits of the NZTP include:

• Economic:

Free lease for six months, reduced base rental and reduced operating expenses makes financial sense. Add to this the savings that can be made by sharing equipment, staff and expertise with high-tech neighbours and improved facilities and NZTP becomes a very prudent proposition.

• Prime location:

The facility is situated within 20 minutes of Auckland international airport and 15 minutes from the CBD. It is just 800 metres to the motorway, main bus routes are within 200 metres. The Penrose train station is just across the road.

• Modular building design:

Flexible rental space allows room for expansion and contraction, dividing walls can be knocked up in an afternoon and services re-routed to accommodate.

• KAREN Advanced Network:

Close links to New Zealand and international research institutions is essential for maintaining a competitive edge. Through its partnership with KAREN - the Kiwi Advanced Research and Education Network - NZTP can support tenants needing to collaborate with the research community at speeds of up to 10Gb/s.

• Custom design:

Space can be tailored to your requirements with the addition of specialised networks, testing and machining facilities, clean rooms, wet labs, gas and DI water supplies.

• Attractive work environment:

On-site cafes, parking and recreational facilities will help to attract and retain the industry's top staff. And the building is green rated for maximum environmental sustainability and reduced operating costs.

• Start-up to mature companies:

NZTP is a technology commercialisation hub. Approximately 70% of the park will be tenanted by mature companies and the remaining 30% will be emerging companies.

• Networking opportunities:

Networking is encouraged with carefully designed access ways and points of gathering for eating and recreation.

The solution to your latest technical polemic may be found on the stairway and the building will be full of opportunities to collaborate on projects larger than you can handle independently.

• Emergency power generation on-site:

When the lights go out in Auckland, your business won't because independent, on-site generators pick up the load.

• Customer exclusivity:

Only customers within the technology industry that have a research component, or those that service technology companies, will be part of NZTP.

For more information click here

Can the NZTP be a success? Tell us your initial thoughts below