Vodafone bolsters Southland 4G capabilities with new sites
Additional 4G services have been switched on in Southland, Vodafone New Zealand announced this week.
The four new cell sites are situated in Waihoaka, Colac Bay, Whakapatu and Springhills.
Vodafone says the additions are the telco's latest commitment to bring 'world class 4G services to more Kiwis across Aotearoa'.
The announcement brings the total number of cell sites switched on in the Southland area to 14, as part of the Rural Broadband 2 Initiative.
Vodafones head of Networks and Platforms, Sharina Nisha says the new 4G cell sites will radically transform the area's access to communication services, with boosted mobile phone reception and data speeds faster than 3G.
"Bringing connectivity to these areas not only delivers the essential communication needed, but also the safety of Kiwis living in these remote areas," she explains.
"For rural Aotearoa to remain competitive, they need fast broadband and mobile coverage not just in offices, but on farms, in schools, and on the roads," Nisha explains.
"Vodafone is offering a range of future-ready products that include wireless broadband and VoLTE enabled mobile calling. Customers can visit their nearest Vodafone store or call our dedicated rural line to find out more about the new connectivity options in the area," she adds.
Vodafone are working with rural broadband provider Farmside, to connect more New Zealanders together. Farmside recently won Best Rural Service Provider and Best Wireless Broadband Provider at the 2019 Broadband Compare Awards.
"We don't want to leave rural New Zealand behind - we want to bridge the digital divide, so we're bringing the best of two innovative organisations together to deliver this essential service to rural New Zealand," says Farmside general manager, Jason Sharp.
List of cell sites now live in Southland Region
- Morton Mains Southland District Council
- Waikawa Southland District Council
- Otahu Flat Southland District Council
- Limehills Southland District Council
- Wyndham East Southland District Council
- Waimatua Southland District Council
- Dipton Southland District Council
- Heddon Bush Southland District Council
- Kapuka South Southland District Council
- Mabel Bush Southland District Council
- Waihoaka Southland District Council
- Colac Bay Southland District Council
- Whakapatu Southland District Council
- Springhills Southland District Council