Google guns for MS Exchange business
Google has launched a new suite of apps for government organisations that it says can help save money and reduce IT hassles.
Randi Levin, the City of Los Angeles CTO, has already made the switch. “In addition to empowering employees across the city, everyone will benefit from Google's security controls, which will provide a higher level of security for City data than exists with our current system."
Google Apps for Government lets agencies cut IT costs and empower employees, says the internet giant, who adds that the suite of web-based applications costs US$50 per user per year.
The suite includes:
- Secure: Google data centres are engineered by leading security experts & FISMA certified. With best-in-class disaster recovery at no extra cost.
- Gmail: 25GB storage, less spam, & 99.9% uptime. With email security powered by Postini. Easy integration with Microsoft Outlook.
- Google Calendar: Agenda management, scheduling, shared online calendars and mobile calendar sync.
- Google Docs: Documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Collaborate in real-time without attachments.
- Google Sites: Secure, coding-free web pages for intranets and team managed sites.
- Video: Secure video sharing – like your own private YouTube. Support agency training programs, and add a personal touch to employee communications.